Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Sosnoski Week 4- Monitoring my GAME plan progress


This week I made a lot of progress toward my goals. Woohoo! I set up the first prompt for my students on my biology blog: http://sosnoskibiology.blogspot.com . This prompt asks students to reflect on their favorite and least favorite topics so far this year. This will help me see what students are enjoying and what needs to be spiced up next year. I made the requirements very "Walden style." They have to make a post by a certain day and respond to two classmates' comments by another day. Students will start this when we return to school from Thanksgiving break. As the year goes on, these prompts will require more content-specific reflection, but I want to start with topics that will be easy for students to write about so they develop a copacetic attitude toward writing their responses. My only question is--how often should I have them do these? That is something I will need to really think about.


For my second goal, I discovered many resources that could help me in my quest to develop an authentic ecology experience for my students. While talking with some colleagues about my goal I found that there is a program in our community called IPEI-- Ithaca Public Education Initiative. This organization's purpose is to link teachers with members of the community to provide extended learning experiences for students. Not only will they help you figure out the best connection to make, but you can apply for a Red & Gold Grant, which puts $500 toward your endeavor. I e-mailed the coordinator to ask for ideas regarding teaming up with some community organizations or Cornell University to do an authentic ecology learning experience. I have not heard back yet, but I am excited for their help! My biggest question is how I am going to organize all of this with such a packed schedule. I am teacher 20% over time and rarely even get to eat my lunch. I think I'm going to request help from my department chair.



4 comments:

  1. I think you have taken great steps toward your GAME plan. I also don't think you will have a problem with your students when responding to your blogs. Although not being used to blogs I have definitely "bought" into the idea and really enjoy the different form of assessment. I really like the way of communicating, yet providing feedback to colleagues, which I think is how students will feel as well. It is different from our day to day activities taking place in school, and therefore I think they will really enjoy it and their responses may surprise you! I was talking with a colleague at my school about blogs and she uses them within her classroom. She was explaining to me that students were getting on and posting blogs that were not even asked of them and students were responding, which told her they were frequently visiting the blog and using it as a resource. This definitely made me excited and eager to create one of my own. So sorry for my rambling but I think your students will love what you have set up and I am eager to hear about it after Thanksgiving break :)

    It is great that you were able to apply for a grant to support your idea of teachers and community members working together. It is crazy to think about all of the available resources provided to teachers that we don't hear about. Following up with my own GAME plan this week, I was finding resources available at my fingertips that I was unaware of. It is a shame they are available yet no one talks about them. I hope you receive the grant you applied for and you are able to create something great within your school and community :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on setting up your classroom blog. I have a blog with my students and it is a big hit! They love commenting and responding to one another. It is like giving them an additional writing assignment but they do not actually feel like they are doing an assignment. I think it will be a great experience for you and your class.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lindsi--thanks for your encouragement. It's great to hear that other teachers have had such success with blogging. I'm looking forward to implementing it

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nihal,
    Thank you for the encouragement as well. I'm so glad blogging has worked well with your students and I hope for the same results!

    ReplyDelete